Re: [OM] Pardon the Heresy? Nikon Anybody

Subject: Re: [OM] Pardon the Heresy? Nikon Anybody
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:03:48 +0000
At 01:53 9/25/01, John Pendley wrote:

Amen. Except that the FM's have a mirror that sounds like it's coming completely loose when you fire the thing. A lot of pros swear by them, but I can't help but wonder how that bucking mule in there could do anything *but* cause vibration. Just my subjective reaction.

The F3 is *really* heavy, and it wasn't possible for this glasses-wearer to see the entire VF, even with the HP.

I like my Canon A2E well enough, though I use the Olys much, much more often. It even has MLU. Try finding that on anything less than a "pro" wonderbrick.

JP

Forgot to mention . . . the OM's are less expensive too, especially the Zuiko lenses and most of the accessories. N*k*n is supporting its manual focus system better than Olympus, so if you're looking only at new hardware it's more comprehensive. I'm beginning to see the equipment much like pros do: tools with which to achieve the vision. However, there is a beauty to be appreciated in the OM's.

[begin rant]
I'm not interested in the auto-everything 5,673 program-mode whizzing, buzzing, motorized, polycarbonate, heavy as H*ll with all the batteries installed, Wunderbricks. I cannot achieve my vision with them. (Ken Norton: relate your experiences with carpal tunnel hauling around a Wunderbrick rig with flash bracket all night at a wedding): (a) When I shoot a snowscape shoot in zero Fahrenheit weather I want the shutter to fire! The Wunderbricks quit working when the batteries get cold. (b) When I shoot a night cityscape I want the shutter to fire at the exposure I set! Some cheaper Wunderbricks make it hard as Hades to override the under-exposure safety. (c) When I take a risk running hand held at a slow shutter speed I want the shutter to fire! Some of the same Wunderbricks make it just as hard to override the camera shake "safety." (d) When I shoot a long timed exposure I want the shutter to stay open for minutes if necessary. Many Wunderbricks eat the batteries dry doing this, sometimes before the exposure is finished and lock up.

The three secrets to achieving a vision for an image: control . . . control . . . control. Wunderbricks defy, thwart and foil doing this at every twist and turn.
[end rant]

-- John