Re: [OM] Discount store film

Subject: Re: [OM] Discount store film
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:43:44 -0700
Haven't tried the Max 800 but the 400 seems okay. Most everything from Kodak can be depended on, but then I pretty much feel that way about Fuji, too. <g>

That out-of-date film was in all likelihood still good, by the way, assuming it hadn't been exposed to heat during storage. Best guess is it spent much of its time in air-conditioned environments. Still ought to have been discounted, though.

Tris

   Hello everyone,

I wanted to drop a line and tell about going to K-mart this afternoon. I remember someone late last week was asking about getting film at the discount stores. Anyway I was at the store and looking at the film, didn't expect to see anything faster than 400 speed. I looked down at the bottom and found some Kodak Max 800, four rolls of 24 exp. Pulled one off and looked at it, flipped it over and checked the date and it was 8/1999. Pulled off the other three and only one was not out of date, and it was 11/2001. I took all the out of date stuff to one of the kids working in the dept, and told him it was all out of date. He looked at me like I was crazy or something. I had to explain to him what the date stamp on them was. I handed him the film and walked away, just knowing he was just going to put it back on the shelf. So when I got up to the front of the store I made sure to tell the manager. I suppose that's one of the pitfalls of buying film at the discount houses.

Has anyone ever tried this type film? It's called Kodak Max Zoom 800. I picked up the roll that was still in date and thought I'd give it a try at my son's next football game. If anything good comes out of them I'll try to show them.
Good shooting,
Smitty