RE: [OM] Pardon the Heresy? Nikon Anybody

Subject: RE: [OM] Pardon the Heresy? Nikon Anybody
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:28:12 -0600
> The image stabilized 28-135mm zoom is an excellent choice
> for a first lens.

 'image stabilized', I think to myself? I know that exists in camcorders but
they have a whole bunch of digital processing to remove the shake.. how
could this possibly work on a lens made of glass+metal?

 From the Canon web page: "The IS system is composed of a pair of gyro
sensors to detect vertical and horizontal motion and a microprocessor that
compensates for it by shifting special IS lens elements in parallel with the
perceived movement. "

 Okay, now that is _ridiculous_. 360 ball bearings, pfaugh -- gyroscopes,
that's where the _real_ overkill engineering is. (only $469.95 at B&H, which
is less than I expected, I must admit).

 -- dan (just buy some beta-blockers, sheesh.. <grin> )