Re: [OM] Pardon the Heresy? Nikon Anybody

Subject: Re: [OM] Pardon the Heresy? Nikon Anybody
From: Nick Taylor <ntaylor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:35:51 -0700
"Daniel J. Mitchell" wrote:

> > The image stabilized 28-135mm zoom is an excellent choice
> > for a first lens.
>
>  'image stabilized', I think to myself? I know that exists in camcorders but
> they have a whole bunch of digital processing to remove the shake.. how
> could this possibly work on a lens made of glass+metal?
>
>  From the Canon web page: "The IS system is composed of a pair of gyro
> sensors to detect vertical and horizontal motion and a microprocessor that
> compensates for it by shifting special IS lens elements in parallel with the
> perceived movement. "

Both the Nikon and Canon image stabilization systems use electo-
mechanical methods ... and both give the equivalent of 1.5 to 2
f stops increase.  They are both excellent systems.

Since camera systems preferences degenerate into religious wars
it's very difficult to get objective views of various brands.
"Plastic - ugh!"  "Wunderbrick - peeuu"  "Auto this and that"
and it goes on and on.

I've had a Canon EOS620 since 1987 (many, many rolls of film)
and have had only it serviced one time (US$70).  My EOS-1 has
worked flawlessly since 1982.  My EOS-D30 is fantastic (over
1700 pictures so far).  ALL of these bodies can be used in
fully MANUAL modes ... focus, aperture, time, and many other
manual selections on the D30.  They do require a BATT (a four
letter word for some of you), but I find it much easier to
carry a spare battery than an extra lens.

My OM-1n is a joy to hold, beautiful to see, and very, very
reliable ... and the battery isn't drained when doing astro-
photography.  Wouldn't part with it.  If I still had my '27
Model-T that I had as a teenager, I wouldn't part with it
either ... no automatic choke, no automatic transmission,
no automatic spark advance, no powered windows, no cruise
control, no electric starter, very easy to repair ... but
for everyday use I prefer my Suburban.

Every morning I take a couple of quick snapshots of my two
elementary school sons as they leave for school.  Before
their bus delivers them to school my wife, who lives half
a state away, has the pictures on her computer delivered by
email.  We live in the twenty first century!

Regards,
  -Nick T.