Re: [[OM] (Fwd) Using non-zuiko lenses with OM's]

Subject: Re: [[OM] (Fwd) Using non-zuiko lenses with OM's]
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:54:14 -0700
I'll weigh in on this a bit too...

Re: Build quality, Tamron's higher end lenses (such as the SP 300/2.8
400/4 80-200/2.8) are all very well made best I can tell. There can be
some issues with mounts, but then I have an issue with my Zuiko 1.4XA
converter not always locking to the Zuiko 350 well (a very scary that
thing I need to repair) so Zuikos ain't perfect that way either.
Tokina's AT-X lenses also appear to be very well made.

The Tamron 300/2.8 is reputed to be excellent and I often see people
using them in racing photography. The plus side (vs. the 350/2.8) is
they are small and light enough to hand hold...can't say that about the
350. The down side is that extra 50mm of reach comes in real handy. The
400/4 is also very nice. (An aside, a local racing photographer I know
who's work is outstanding and is often displayed in the form of huge
beautiful prints at the local tracks in the Media Centers uses an old
Nikkor MF 400/4 that resembles the Tamron very closely.)

I can't say enough good things about the Tamron 80-200/2.8 (and have to
believe the Tokina AT-X 80-200/2.8 is comparable). It is unfortunate
that there is no Zuiko that one can compare it to. I hear comments that
it is big and heavy...but after manhandling a 350/2.8 I think it is
light as a feather ;-)

After borrowing Zuiko 16mm and 18mm ultra wide angles I now want
one...my hopes are a good 17mm Tamron or Tokina will fill the bill
within a reasonable budget.

Nothing wrong with certain third party lenses if they get the job done
as expected.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com