[OM] (Fwd) Slide Processing & Film Scanning

Subject: [OM] (Fwd) Slide Processing & Film Scanning
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:45:44 +0000
From: "Jon Mitchell"
<jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject:
Slide Processing & Film Scanning Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:04:47 +0100

Hi guys,

Back from Holiday and trying to catch up on what's been happening.  I
uns*ubscribed (to preserve the sanity of my email server !) so I'm a bit
behind on some things.  I take it from the emails I've seen that Oben is
back ?!  Go get him, I say, and may Microsoft have no mercy on his soul !!

Right, coupla questions for you all.  My Aunt, being a little "old", got
rid of her Olympus kit a while back and got a P&S thing.  Anyways, was
sorting her out with a batch of "cheap" flms (I got a load cheap by bulk
ordering - anyone interested try www.7dayshop.com - good, but can be slow
on delivering) and noticed she was using Fuji Sensia 200 in the camera.  My
remarks of "Oh, so you've gone back to slide film then" got a rather
shocked response, starting with "eh ?" and ending in "Oh ******, not again"
!! Turns out the film had been in there for some time - best before date is
Feb 2000 !!  Question is, I know Slide Film has a shorter shelf life so
will it really be worth processing ?  Also she wants Slides & Prints from
it if possible.  I have heard some places will do this - any thoughts,
comments, recommendations ?

Second Question.  I am borrowing a Negative Scanner from a mate at work
soon (tomorrow ?) and would like to get this right first time if I can.  My
previous attempts at scanning things (paper flatbed scanner) have always
resulted in a certain amount of "playing" with the image being required to
lighten/darken/colour it.  Question is, what does one use as a reference ?
As I see it, the image you get when "adjusting" it is dependent on how you
have the monitor set.  I know pretty much what I am looking for (I work in
Film & TV and know how to match to a colour card, etc.) - is there such a
thing as a colour scale or grey scale chart in a JPG file ?  If I got one
of these and loaded it into Paintshop Pro, and lined up the monitor, could
I then be sure of the image quality if I adjusted every other image with
the monitor at this setting ?  How do all of you guys do this ?

If anyone has any suggestions / comments / ideas on the scanning issue
please let me know.  On the same issue, what is the general consensus
regarding Bitmaps vs JPGs ?  My main idea is to provide storage for my
photos, so I'm thinking Bitmaps so I can then load them and save them as
JPG's if I need to Email them / attach them to a web page.  Space isn't a
big issue as I have a CD Writer and a large stack of Blank CD's !

Also, could I use the Negative Scanner to scan Slides, and use the
"negative" function in Paintshop Pro to get the right image ?  Any thoughts
?

Right, wasted enough of your bandwidth with my questions.  I look forward
to your answers !

Regards,

Jon Mitchell