[OM] painting chrome OM-1 covers black

Subject: [OM] painting chrome OM-1 covers black
From: Chris Barrett <cpbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 16:59:00 +0100
james olson wrote

"
A while ago there was a thread involving painting the top and bottom plates
of an OM-1 chrome, black.  Some people talked about powder coating, etc.....
  Has anyone successfully painted the plates yet?  Or attempted the process?"

I've had similar thoughts, as I'd quite like a second OM2n, but a black one
would distinguish it from the first. Plus I might be able to get a less
cosmetically good one for a better price.

You might find some pointers here:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/5799/shintaro.htm

This is a japanese chap who repaints chrome Leicas.

Its true that you can't create the look of an original black OM body by just
repainting the top and bottom. The fittings such as the shutter release, wind
and rewind are bright or satin chrome, unlike the black OM's which had these
fittings also in black. But I don't think that is object of the exercise any
more than putting on new coloured leather. At the end of the day it would be
uniquely yours.

Chris Barrett
Malvern