RE: [OM] no more carryons?

Subject: RE: [OM] no more carryons?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <voop@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 20:09:45 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, gries wrote:

> That was my feeling too. I'm not sure how this is going to be handled.
> I guess everything could be locked up in a Pelican case, and then buy
> film where I have to go.
>
> I hope the airlines are ready for a ton of stolen/lost item reports!
> It's also a pain in the ass when they loose the luggage and you only
> have the clothes on you to get by.  I usually pack my dopp-kit, and a
> change of clothes for this occasion.
>
> More Mickey-Mouse solutions to a larger problem....

Okie...from a (waaay too) frequent business-traveller.....

This is ridicilous....I've only once actually gotten checked-in luggage
out of the destination airport within 24h of my own arrival at the
destination. The carriers and airports I've used have been notoric for
shipping my checked-ins around the globe without me (the most funny thus
far was that when they sent my bag from France to Portugal rather than
Denmark, then rerouted it to Denmark, but forgot to tell the people there
to pick up the bag - so it went BACK to portugal.....I got it the day I
departed Denmark for going back home to France.).

Also, I've had 3 new bags (and numerous reperations) paid by the airline
company within the last year because they managed to tear them
*completely* up. Staff at my insurance company know me by first name
too, from numerous things broken or simply lost. E.g. I a hard
paterson development tank shattered to pieces, despite being in a
*thick* casket of made-to-measure foam, stored in a hard box inside a
watercase (of those you can actually park your SUV on without
breaking). The hard box and the watercase didn't have a scratch - I'm
puzzled as to how they managed to break the tank.....

I've made a rule of *never* checking in anything that I do not have a
reciept of and which cannot be replaced easilly. Anything else goes in the
cabin.

There is *no* way I'd check in any OM/Zuiko gear. Nada. Never. Not in a
million years. Same goes for laptops. I don't believe for a second that I
can wrap my beloved 85/2.0 in a way such that the airport staff cannot
skillfully destroy every bit of it beyond recognition.

Speaking of laptops: for transatlantic flights, the only usefull way of
spending time is to actually get some *work* done (and enjoy being out of
phones/emails reach of annoying cow-orkers / phb's). If it's not possible
to bring the laptop to the cabin.....well, more wasted time.

I think that if this insane idea is made real, I'll seriously consider
if I should not give american conferences and collaboration with american
researchers a rest. Instead, it would make sense focus within europe or
asia. Wonder if that's what the Evil Guy had in mind with this
suggestion....?

--thomas