Re: [OM] [OT] Sensia II vs. Provia. Was: Kodachrome vs Provia

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Sensia II vs. Provia. Was: Kodachrome vs Provia
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:29:41 +0800

Thomas Bryhn wrote:
.

> Resolution has never been touted as the forte of Provia F100, it's the lack
> of grain.
> I would also like to add that the numbers cited for resolution is pure BS
> (not from the list members, from the testers): They measure resolution with
> a contrast range of 1000:1, that's about 10 stops. How many of you are
> shooting under those conditions?!? On rare occasions you can have small
> back lighted objects (like grass straws against a very bright sky), but you
> should really look at the second number in the tests, the resolution with
> contrast 1.6:1, or about 2/3 of a stop. That should be a much more
> realistic and sobering value for normal shooting.

I think you have missed the Fujifilm test data, they have 1.6:1 also.
The resolution for Provia F is 60lp/mm and Sensia II is 55lp/mm.

<snip>

> My personal "rule" is to expect detail in 6 stops for Sensia, 5.5 stops for
> Provia F100, but only 5 stops for Velvia. Unfortunately, Velvia is also
> much more saturated than the other two, otherwise these three films
> would've made a great "zone system lite". (Tris, you needed an excuse to
> have more bodies, didn't you?)

I trend to agree with you here, Sensia II is having lower contrast, I
like the color of Sensia II and Velvia more than RDPIII. Velvia is my
standard film now when I can afford to bring a good tripod otherwise I
will use Sensia II.

C.H.Ling

<snip>