Re: [OM] B/W film specs

Subject: Re: [OM] B/W film specs
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:23:44 -0700
I haven't touched it for years, but for awhile a daily I worked for in UP Michigan sent me preloads full of HP5 instead of Tri-X, which was what we (like everyone else) habitually shot for our halftones. My experience then (as memory serves) was that HP5 had a lot more contrast to it than did Tri-X, almost to the point where you might be tempted to say it was a "contrasty" film emulsion. Not bad film, mind you, and I think that its contrast, as it related to halftone process, was what one of the paper's editor's liked about it. The results did appear to be more "stunning" in their own fashion when published on newsprint.

In any event, this film certainly had a different look to it than Tri-X, and it also didn't strike me at the time as being as tonally balanced as Tri-X. How forgiving it was in the darkroom I could not say, though I regularly sent canisters up with direction to push it a couple of stops, with no issues on that score. I never worked with it myself in the darkroom, though, just saw the results in my paper--and again, we're talking halftones here, not critical work.

Does anyone know if Ilford has changed this emulsion over the years?

Tris

It is an Ilford film. Sold under the Ilford brand as FP4 Plus 125. They
recently started selling it for private label. I have not tired the PL
stock, but I assume it is the same as the Ilford branded stuff. I really
like the Ilford and have shot with it  for years when I use B&W (which is
not all that often, sorry to say.) It has a nice tight grain structure,
very nice tonality is VERY sharp and pushes well. You can also pull it a
stop. Expose for the shadows. The film is very tolerant in development. I
expose it at 125. Overall the film is very forgiving and easy to work
with. I like it better than Plus-X. If you like Tri-X and want faster
speed try the Ilford HP5 which is a 400 asa film.

Jim Couch