Re: [OM] B/W film specs

Subject: Re: [OM] B/W film specs
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:15:51 -0700

Ilford HP5 (and other 'conventional' B&W films) have had emulsion
improvements through the years. I don't know specifics though. I have
not found the HP5 to be to high in contrast in general. I suspect that
it might be relates to processing. HP5 has always had a reputation for
having the ability to change contrast by changes in development. It may
be that the paper's lab developed for higher contrast. As I recall Tri-X
was not as receptive to contrast changes via development.

Different developing chemicals would have an effect on the result no doubt. What my paper used I can't recall, though I do remember discussing the difference between Ilford and Kodak with Fred (his full calling was Fred C. Sappington, a great newspaper name!) my city editor at the time. This guy liked the look of Ilford, I was less charmed by the results--not that I gave it lot of thought back then.

As for Tri-X, this film has always been supremely even in its graduation throughout the tonal spectrum, one of its more endearing attributes and why it's remained universally in favor this many years down the road with photographers both professional and amateur. It's simply a very very able and versatile film emulsion for those who happen to be after a B&W image.

I hold no particular opinion regarding its Ilford counterpart (if we may call it that) one way or the other, though I think there's a reason why Tri-X is considered a classic, a veritable benchmark within the industry, and users of it today have to ask this list "What is it?" <g>

Tris

Jim Couch