[OM] Re: [OT] no more carryons?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] no more carryons?
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:16:36 -0400
>From: Mike Veglia
>
>On the subject of film, they had some kind
>of a sensatized pad they layed against the ziplock bag my film was in
>that then went into some kind of bomb detecting box the size of an old
>large microwave oven. The pad had to process in there a while and after
>about a minute or so they said I could be on my way. Not sure how that
>worked...the pad had no physical contact with the film and the film did
>not go into any detectors.

Several times we've had the airport security people do this procedure on
*each* roll of film in our gallon ziplock bags.  They have always been nice
about it and explained to me once that the little pad collects plastic
explosive residue, which the "microwave oven" is set to detect.  When you
carry 200 rolls of film with you, that takes a while.  I've also had to
remove the lenscaps so security could look through each and every lens.
I've also had to show that the cameras actually take pictures.  None of
this bothers me at all, as I always leave sufficient time for this.

But when you travel with 6 bodies and two dozen lenses (including the big
stuff like 300/2.8, 400/4 and 500/4.5), it's scary to think about checking
the stuff as luggage.  We have everything arranged to fit into four
carryons, so it works well with two people.  Yes, it's all insured (and pro
insurance is expensive), but when you get to Calgary for a week in the
Canadian Rockies and your cameras wind up in Cleveland and your lenses are
in Columbus, there's no amount of insurance that will help you out of your
immediate dilemma.  We do check our tripods/monopods - which have on
occasion "disappeared" for a few days (luckily, it's only been on the
return trips so far).

This is my second posting on this "OT" topic - I only get one more. <g>

Steve Troy