RE: [OM] [OT] no more carryons?

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] no more carryons?
From: "Mike Stephens" <mike1964@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:25:46 -0500
I'm on a Delta flight as I write this reply.
As a frequent flier (~120 flights per year) I am most
interested in the effects that the 9-11 attack will have
on our means of travel.  Interestingly, there seemed to
be very minimal change at D/FW airport - one-hour parking
has been gotten rid of (those sections are now chained off)
and there were quite a number of police and security officials
both outside and inside the terminal.  As far as the security
gate goes, however, the only change that I noted was that
they check your ticket and photo ID before you can proceed
through the security checkpoint.  Other than that, everything
was "normal".  No difference in carry-on limits, the plane's
overhead bins were full and they had to check some carry on
bags for lack of room on the plane.  This is typical.  At the
security checkpoint they were not going through bags (like
I saw on TV last week); just the random swabbing of bags
to run through the explosive detector like they've been doing
for a couple of years.  Don't know if this is the same elsewhere,
but it looked to me like carrying on my photo gear would be
no problem.  My computer bag had a notebook PC, numerous
interconnect cables, network card, cell phone, pager,
handheld computer (Apple Newton), spare batteries, cigar
lighter and cigars, (no cutter - I put that in my checked bag),
numerous pens and other items.  It sailed through without
anyone even batting an eye at it.  My carry on bag with clothes,
toothbrush, electric razor, was swabbed to check for bomb
material, but this was a random check, not called for by
the person operating the X-ray.

Don't know if I feel at ease by this 'normalcy' in
security, but I would certainly not hesitate to bring a
bag full of photo gear with me as carry on at this point.

What have others experienced?

Mike