Re: [OM] OM-2S flash mistake

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S flash mistake
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:20:22 -0700 (PDT)
Tina Turgeon wrote:

Ray,

That sucks that you had to re-take some of those pictures.  How
frustrating!!

I'm pretty new to the Oly world and I, too, have an OM-2S.  I've heard
about the battery consumption problem with this particular model.  When
this camera was given to me, I remember him telling me to make sure I
keep the lens cover on to save the batteries a bit.  Do you do that?
Granted, I don't use a flash *all* the time, but I just replaced the
batteries that were in there since January.  Yeah, I wish it had an
on/off switch too.
I like the suggestion of putting the camera to the red B setting when
not in use so that you'll realize the 'error' right away if it happens
again.

Tina,

Yes, it was frustrating. However, when I got the Fuji Superia ISO 400
(colour negative) film developed, I found that most of the early shots
were OK anyway, despite my faux pas.

I always use lens caps whenever I put the camera away but I only do it
to protect the front element, I didn't know it could influence battery
life as well. You got 8 months from a set of batteries, which is quite
reasonable for an OM-2S, in my experience. My guess is that, if the
OM-2S had had a longer product life, Olympus would have gotten around
to improving the circuitry to reduce the battery consumption under
quiescent conditions, as happened with the OM-4T(i).

"RED B FOR ME" from now on! Although I've been using this camera for
the last 16 years, I only recently started using the red shutter speed
settings for storage. I didn't give it enough thought but now I see the
light!

Battery life is a particular problem for me because there are no silver
oxide batteries on sale in Indonesia, as far as I know, having searched
for them for the last 11 years! I can get them sent from overseas but
that's a pain for the person sending them. Alkalines are everywhere but
they're not much good because of their declining voltage with use.
Lithium cells are also abundant but they don't work in OMs either.

Another problem I have is that I am very clumsy when it comes to
changing batteries, so the less frequently I have to do it the better!
It takes me ages to line uo the battery cover so thatg it threads
properly.

In the interest of keeping the peace with the many OM-2S fans on this
list, please note that I am not "knocking" this wonderful camera. I
wouldn't have stuck with it for 16 years if I didn't like it. I have
yet to see an incorrect exposure that was not my own fault.

Regards to the list (and b*ll*cks to Oben),

=====
Ray