Re: [OM] OM-2S flash mistake

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S flash mistake
From: pschings@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:34:49 -0400
On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:20:22 -0700 (PDT) Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
writes

> I always use lens caps whenever I put the camera away but I only do it
> to protect the front element, I didn't know it could influence battery
> life as well. You got 8 months from a set of batteries, which is quite
> reasonable for an OM-2S, in my experience.

Putting on the lens cap won't make a difference in battery consumption
with the OM-2S, or any other OM that depends solely on silicon cells for
metering. Now the batteries in my OM-1s, on the other hand, last
literally for years if I keep the lens cap on, even if the switch is left
"on".

I agree, 8 months out of a set of batteries is pretty typical for my
OM-2S as well.

> My guess is that, if the
> OM-2S had had a longer product life, Olympus would have gotten around
> to improving the circuitry to reduce the battery consumption under
> quiescent conditions, as happened with the OM-4T(i)

Well, my understanding is that the flash LED upgrade wasn't available
until after production stopped on the OM-2S, so there was at least one
retrofit improvement added to improve battery life.

Paul Schings