Re: [OM] Another digital adapter

Subject: Re: [OM] Another digital adapter
From: "Bruce Hamm" <bhamm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 10:36:53 -0400
> It would be very interesting to see the results (especially since
> Olympus says their lenses won't work)

It's not that Zuikos won't work on a digital body. I believe they'll work as
well as Canon lenses work on the D30 and Nikon lenses work on the D1.
However, lenses designed for 35mm film are not "optimal" for digital
sensors. I believe it has something to do with the way they direct light
towards the film plane. I'm sure someone else here can explain the
technicalities far better than myself. I think Canon and Nikon's decision to
roll out their digital bodies using existing lenses was more of a business
decision. You would not find the same demand for these cameras if the pros
had to go out and replace lenses to use them. Considering that Olympus has
not put much effort into supporting the OM system for some time, it explains
their decision to engineer a completely new digitally oriented camera
system. I think it will be very interesting to see how the Olympus product
lines up against the latest offerings from Canon & Nikon.

I'd still love to see a quality digital back for an OM, though...

Bruce

Bruce Hamm
Ottawa, Canada
bhamm@xxxxxxxx