Re: [OM] Cost of B+W processing?

Subject: Re: [OM] Cost of B+W processing?
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 17:52:13 +0100
Dan

I'm with Steve on this subject...

I have just had something of a refresher in B&W processing and developing. It took 3 hours. Using a film developing tank is easy (once you have the film on the reel and inside the tank), using 2 chemicals (dev & fixer) and 11 minutes at 20 deg C. I was developing and printing 6x4.5 for the first time, but with FP4 exposed normally it proved to be quite similar to 35mm (of course).

If you have the space, printing is easy too.. provided you are happy to read instructions, develop the print for 2 minutes (not until it "looks" right as I have always done!) and wash it well. The exposure comes with a little trial and error with test strips of paper. This might sound glib, but it really can't be simpler. My tutor refuses to countenance fiddling with parts of a print (dodging and burning) because he insists on having the correct exposure the first time - but then he is in a studio most of the time where there is more control than next to a lonely tree on a windswept moor ;-). Finally, if you have the right amount of space, using a darkroom is easier than if you have converted a bathroom. I used the shower room in our Annex and I was on my knees most of the time!

Good luck.

Chris