Re: [OM] Circ. Polarizers - What brands?

Subject: Re: [OM] Circ. Polarizers - What brands?
From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 21:45:22 +0200
The differences betweem the 2s, 3 and 4 would probably take me years to
learn.    I had thought of getting one (or more ... yikes!) of them to
handle the flash photography I'd like to do.    I keep reading though,
about peoples' problems with the circuit boards and the myriad of
batteries that power the camera's functions.    Spot metering would be
great.    Is there a trade-off between simplicity and utility that you
think makes one of the models a smarter choice over the others?

There's not such a big difference, I learned fast and I'm only swedish.
I regard the "battery problem" as being slightly exaggerated. Batterys aren't that expensive, and they don't take up too much space either ;-) so it's easy to always carry a spare. OM-2S, OM-3 and OM-4 have circuits that drain batteries a little faster, that's all. Go for the T(i) version of the 4 if you want to be safe. The difference in battery types are onle for the OM-1. All other (single-digit?) OM's use two 357 or SR44 cells (yes, Tom, I know the 357 is better;-))

I made a "freezer" test tonight. Hung my OM-4 with Ti circuit outdoors in zero degrees celcius with harsh cold wind. Pitch black outside. After 20 minuits I returned and the little fellow was so cold I hardly could touch it with bare fingers. But it worked. Meter on auto and manual, and shutter ran fine. Try that with one of the new smash-boom wonderbricks! OM's are built to last. (Then again: I wouldn't go to the northpole without an OM-1 as a backup)

The higher numbers are as simple as you make them. It's possible to use an OM-4(T(i)) almost as a P&S. Then again you can, if you like, remain in control over every single step. Up to the user.

Cheers and welcome to the list
Henrik Dahl