Re: [OM] Photo size was: Photo Editing for Dummies

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo size was: Photo Editing for Dummies
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 10:21:14 -0600
At 08:53 AM 10/1/2001 -0700, "Mike" wrote:
>File sizes of more than 50kb pretty much excludes people with a slow
>modem connection from viewing your photos in any practical time frame.
>Less than 50kb is better, 25-40 being ideal. A computer monitor doesn't
>show much more detail anyway.

No, it doesn't, but it does show colour depth differently depending on how much
information there is in the photo that you're looking at, and the more KBytes
you have in the photo, the less chance that you'll have "pixel artifacts,"
especially in areas of gradual colour gradation (like a large expanse of blue
sky), which can really make a photo look like crap.  On the Olympus Gallery, I
try to aim to keep pictures in the 90-100 KByte range, or in extreme instances
(due to the above-mentioned artifacting), even significantly higher than that.
Some folks have sent me 15 KByte photos that I've actually told them to re-post
to me with a much higher bytesize, just because they look like garbage.

Do you really want to ruin a good photo by a poor representation on your
monitor?

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/, or
   http://www.enable.org/~gallery/