RE: [OM] [OT]Adjusting to technology

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT]Adjusting to technology
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 21:38:44 -0500
Ahh, yes. The British Seagull outboard motor. Looks like it was designed
before the outbreak of WWII. All sorts of exposed moving parts, brushed
aluminium surfaces, tubes and shafts. I borrowed one for a week's use once,
needing a small outboard  for the tender to a boat I was sailing. I was
initially quite taken aback by its ancient appearance, and assumed at the
time that it was quite old, old, old (actually, you can still buy them new I
believe).

At one point I thought we were hosed when right after warning a companion to
'be careful with the gas cap, it isn't well attached' he dropped it into the
sea. I was incredulous to find an exact replacement cap (I seem to remember
it was made of Bakelite and bronze - no stamped metal there) at the nearby
marine yard in Camden, Maine.

Although I expected the worst from it, this peculiarly British machine
provided reliable if meagre power all the while it was  needed.

I was entirely ready to blame it if it failed, though.....

Chip Stratton