[OM] But do you fill prescriptions and sell cosmetics?

Subject: [OM] But do you fill prescriptions and sell cosmetics?
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:05:48 -0500
"I don't know enough about this stuff to know what exactly they're selling,
but it sure _looks_ like the standard 1 hour processing machine.. Seems
pretty cheap to me, though who knows what the reserve is."

So Tom Scales wants to open a drugstore?

We've seen this on evilbay before, and I can't figure out what this is all
about. USED machines of all sorts appear more often than you might imagine.
The fact is, most stores don't make any money with this service, but use it
as a way to get you into the store, and stay for an hour. Remember when
everybody had a one hour lab, then they all got out of the business? Now,
it's the same thing all over again, so I suspect we will see more machines
for sale as the economy softens.

That said, note that this is a brand new machine. Something strange there,
especially as Fuji is sold out for years, as Walmart ordered something like
a thousand (not kidding) machines.

This is something I wouldn't want to have. First, it is a roller transport
film processor, and you all know how I feel about that subject. Second,
although I haven't had any experience maintaining a roller transport film
processor, I've logged quite a few hours with 30 and 40" roller transport
print processors. Although this is obviously smaller, let it be known that
those machines probably require a factory tech for anything more than
cleaning. And, cleaning can be a real mess.

Another  question, what size paper does the printer take? I would be
surprised if it is wider than 5 inches, although with the 120 option, it
might be 8.

The paper comes in rolls of many feet, for many dollars. This machine
probably doesn't require a plumbing hookup, ad most don't these days. The
chemistry probably comes pre-mixed, and will probably expire from age before
it's used up, so buy lots of control strips.

The capability of three dozen rolls an hour is a bit more than the average
drugstore one hour machine, which often does as few as 12 per hour, which I
also find interesting.

Could these be closed out previous generation machines since the Frontier
(note his address) is taking over?

Too much food for unproductive talk!
Bill Pearce