Re: [OM] 35/shift vs. regular 35

Subject: Re: [OM] 35/shift vs. regular 35
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 12:08:58 +0000
At 11:56 10/2/01, Mark Lloyd wrote:
Oh come on it can't be THAT bad. If the manual
stopping down is too much just leave the button
depressed and the apeture changes with the f-stop.
There is some loss of light, but not unbearable
amounts. The 35 shift is somewhat heavier and larger,
but not masiively so 180 vs 310 grams, less than a
35-70 3.6 zoom. I do agree with the other Mark though
on the 24mm, I have one and its not designed for
"normal" use.

Mark Lloyd

A shift lens has special application. I agree with Mark Dapoz that neither should be used as a general purpose short lens; only when the shift capability is desired and preferably on tripod. The hood for the 35/2.8 Shift is the same hood as for the 21/3.5; *don't* use a 35/2.8, 28/2.8 or even a 24/2.8 hood on it! They will vignette when the lens is shifted.

I have a 35/2.8 Shift and a 35/2, and use both. Although the shift is used more because of the photography I do (at that length), I don't use it if the shift isn't needed. Manually metering a shift lens with manual stop-down for "street shooting" is a royal PITA; it works too slow and the lens can shift too easily during use.

-- John