RE: [OM] OM-2n red vs. green Flash LED

Subject: RE: [OM] OM-2n red vs. green Flash LED
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 12:57:59 -0600
This is about the OM-2s only.  See the FAQ at:

http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq

Look up entry "B30", which describes the differences.  In a nutshell: all
factory-shipped OM-2s's had a green "flash ready" LED, which for reasons
unknown to mere mortals, was powered by the silver cells *in the camera*.  This
tended to drain the cells very quickly if you were someone who used flash a lot.

Olympus techs offer an upgrade, whereby a circuit modification is made to cause
the LED to get its power from the *flash* batteries instead, thus saving the
silver cells.  The green LED is replaced with a red LED to indicate that the
modification has indeed been done (otherwise there'd be no easy way to tell,
other than having your silver cells dying untimely deaths...).

Unfortunately, this upgrade is not free, and is really economical only if
you're already having the OM-2s serviced for some other reason (i.e., a CLA).
I'm going to get the upgrade when I CLA my OM-2s.

Garth