Re: [OM] 3rd Party Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] 3rd Party Flash
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 23:48:29 +0000
At 11:48 10/1/01, Bruce Hamm wrote:
[snip]
I'm looking for a third party flash (Sunpak, Vivitar, Metz, etc.etc.) that
has most of the following features: high GN (120 or preferably higher),
bounce head (which preferably swivels as well), flash compensation control
(for fill flash for dummies), and TTL compatability/dedication  with the
OM-2n/OM-4. One last requirement...it should be available at a reasonable
cost on the used market.

Does such a beast exist or am I dreaming?

Many thanks for any possible help,

Bruce

Bruce,
Metz makes the CT-40xx. With an SCA-321 module it works with any of the OM bodies as if it's a "T" series OM flash. Has a little more oomph than the T-32 (GN 40 versus GN 32, ISO 100 in meters). A little more expensive than a T-32 on the used market, but just as good (if not better). Metz still makes the SCA-321 module, and makes a flash handle much like the BG-2. With the SCA-321 module, it can be used in Manual, Normal Auto or TTL-Auto. With the generic module (SCA-301 ??), it can be used in Manual or Normal Auto.

For "generic" flash heads that use a built-in thyristor for measuring the light and quenching the flash, among the most popular are the Sunpak 383, Vivitar 283 and Vivitar 285. These would be used in full manual, or in the "T" series equivalent of "Normal Auto." All have more oomph than a T-32.

-- John