Re: [OM] OM-4t over OM-4 and flash compatibility

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4t over OM-4 and flash compatibility
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 12:48:30 +0200
> If you plan on using the TTL Auto connector on the body with anything but
> an F280 for off-camera flash control, consider that the 4t has a 7-pin for
> the F-280.  The 4 has a 5-pin for the "T" series flashes (as does the 2S).
>
> - -- John

: So are you saying that you can only remotely connect T series flashes
: via ttl cables to the 4  (and lower # bodies) and not the 4t? The
: manuals that came with the 4t say nothing about remotely connecting any
: flash. Well actually it shows a T45 on a bounce grip and plugged into
: the jack on the body with the special cord but only shows the T32 on the
: camera. I was actually hoping to take some interior photos this week
: using a T32 on the 4t and maybe a couple of remote flashes.

Both the OM-4 and the OM-4T(i) have the 5-pinned TTL Auto Cord Socket on the
front, accepting the TTL Auto Cords T for remote flash operation with the T
Series flash. The OM-2S, OM-3 and OM-3Ti have this Socket too.

The hot shoe of the OM-4 has three contacts, for T flash compatibility, the
hot shoe of the OM-4T(i) has five pins for T flash *and* F280 flash
compatibility.

The TTL Cord F 0.6 meter (which is the only TTL Cord F) is a shoe cord that
only fits the F280 because the plug that goes into the flash has seven
holes. There's also a shoe cord for the T series flashes (especially for
plugging into the T32 on flash bracket or into the Power Bounce Grip) that
does not fit into the F280.

The confusion probably started because the TTL Auto Cord Sockets and TTL
Auto Cords have 5 pins but use only three, as can be deducted from the
number of contacts in the hot shoes and on the flash shoes; whilst the F280
has 5 contacts in its shoe but 7 in its Socket.

http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif/flashphotogroup/ttl_auto_cords_t.htm
http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif/flashphotogroup/ttl_auto_cord_f.htm
http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif/flashphotogroup/bodyflashmodetable.htm

: Can you use the F280 together with the T series flashes?

The F280 can't be combined with T flashes or other F280 flashes, even if you
have the TTL Auto Multi Connector, the TTL Auto Connector and enough cords.
Physically this would work, but electronically not: the electronics of the
F280 don't allow it to cooperate with T flashes.

hnz