RE: [OM] OM-2Sp flash LED question

Subject: RE: [OM] OM-2Sp flash LED question
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 09:55:23 +0200
Hi,

>  Here's what I see:
>
>  T20, f1.4, TTL control, pointing at wall about 2m away. Flash light comes
> on, I take the shot, the green LED flickers to tell me it exposed
> properly. Flash recharges fast, because it didn't need much light.

[...]

O.k., your description of the way the T20 works with your camera indicates
that the T20 flash properly lets the camera know that the flash exposure was
correct (or not when "under" lights up).

>  All that makes sense and is what I'd expect. Here's the weird thing --
> using a 3rd party flash, it seems to all work, _except_ that the green
> 'flash okay' light doesn't light up. Flash is a Miranda "650
OM-dedicated":

Now, initially I was thinking this flash simply doesn't transfer an
"exposure o.k." signal to the camera, but...

>  The _really_ weird thing is that if I point at a wall that's just the
right
> distance away, using the Miranda flash, the green LED _will_ flicker. It
> just only does it under certain precise conditions.

...for this I don't have any logical explanation! The only thing I can think
of, is that perhaps the Miranda flash does not fit as snugly in the flash
shoe as the T20 does, hence causing the "exposure o.k." contact between the
flash and the camera to not be o.k. Still this would not explain why under
specific conditions it does work and under others not, unless this is mere
coincidence. How often did you try this? Another explanation would be that
perhaps there is a tiny defect in the flash in that it does get cut off
properly by the camera's OTF TTL metering during exposure, but that it
doesn't transfer the "exposure o.k." signal properly.

On a related note, I noticed that my T32 needs to be secured rather tightly
with the screw on my 4Ti in order to get all flash contacts to properly hook
up to the camera, if I don't secure the screw enough the flash will still
fire, but there's no green "Flash ready/exposure o.k." LED at all...

Just some thoughts...

Cheers!
Olafo