Re: [OM] Can My Winder 2 be saved??

Subject: Re: [OM] Can My Winder 2 be saved??
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 10:05:44 -0700
Adam:

I don't think that there are too many things that an amateur can/should
attempt on this unit.

Some things that you might try:

1. Trigger the winder using a remote release.  It is possible that your
problem is the microswitch in the winder.  You could make a remote
switch using a 2.5 mm plug (RS 274-0289) and a normally-open push-button
switch (RS 275-0646), and a two-conductor cable.  (Part numbers are from
Radio Shack.)

2.  Clean the contacts in the winder body.  Remove the four screws that
separate the upper and lower half of the housing.  You do not need to
remove the screw that is closest to the eyelet for the grip.  You should
do this on a desk or hard surface, as there are wires that could be
broken.  Clean the contacts where they engage the battery pack, and
gently bend them to make better contact with the battery pack. I use a
contact cleaner pen from Radio Shack (RS 64-4341) for this purpose.

3.  You might need film in the camera for everything to cycle
correctly.  Try it with old out-of date film.

Beyond that, it should probably be looked at by a professional, i.e.
John H. or Clint.  John quotes $49 USD for winder repair.

See http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/ for an exploded diagram of
your Winder 2.

Good luck!

Bill Stanke