[OM] telephoto zoom lenses - guidance sought

Subject: [OM] telephoto zoom lenses - guidance sought
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 13:15:45 -0700
In a message dated 10/8/2001 Stuart writes:

<< I've been considering a particular range of zoom and know (from paper
knowledge) of three quite different
models that strike me as interesting and not too impossible to find
used. >>

<snip>

Out of the list you mention, the only one I would consider is the Tokina
AT-X 100-300/4.

If you want a good all around do-all lens in this range add the Tamron
SP 60-300 (f3.8-4.5 I think) to your list. I had one for a decade and it
got me a lot of nice shots. These are always available for reasonable
prices used and are decent performers and are reasonably light (if that
is really an issue).

Most Zuiko zooms do nothing for me...too slow and too expensive is my
opinion on them, both the 50-250 and 85-250 fall into that category.
(This takes nothing away from their excellent performance...)

I would suggest trying to find a Tokina or Tamron 80-200/2.8 and using a
converter when you need more reach. I think KEH had some Tamron
80-200/2.8s used for decent prices last I looked...

HTH and good luck.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com