Re: [OM] Speaking of focusing screens...

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of focusing screens...
From: pschings@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:46:28 -0400
Cc: tturgeon@xxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:17:28 -0400 "Tina Turgeon" <tturgeon@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> For those of you who have a split-screen to focus through/with,
> such as 1-13 or 2-13, do you actually use the split to focus or
> do you look at the picture as a whole?

Hi Tina,

My answer, of course, is: "it depends". It depends on the lens I'm using
- the faster the lens the more useful the focusing aids. Focusing aids
are more helpful with teles (which, unfortunately, are on the slow side,
like my 300/4.5) than they are with wide angles, IMO. Perhaps because
focus is just less critical with a wide angle. So my 24/2 (note to Ken N.
- it's MC and silver-nosed), while a fast lens, I find easier to focus on
a coarse matte screen like a 1-10. It depends on the lighting conditions
- in bright light I can focus on the ground glass easily. It also depends
on the subject - if there are no lines to use the split image on, or high
contrast areas for the microprisms, I'm going to have to focus on the
matte anyway.

I used to use the focusing aids more than I do now. Ever since I put a
2-4 in my OM-4 I've been finding it easier and easier to focus without
aids. It's really changed the way I do things. I can compose before I
focus, for example. I think with the 2-x screens I find DOF preview
easier to work with and I use it more.

The problem is if I do too much screen changing I always end up with a
finder full of dust. So I tend to keep a 2-4 in the OM-4 - it's probably
the best all-around screen I have (a 2-10 would be perfect). What I
probably need is a separate body/screen combination for each lens...
yeah, that's the ticket...

Paul Schings