Re: [OM] TTL Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] TTL Flash
From: pschings@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 08:50:07 -0400
Cc: tturgeon@xxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 08:21:25 -0400 "Tina Turgeon" <tturgeon@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> I'm still new to flash photography and I have a quick question.
> I recently purchased a T32 (thanks to Mike on the list) and I
> need to know how to use it for fill-in.  I'm taking my sister-
> in-law's family portrait on Sunday morning and I'm pretty sure
> I'll need to use a flash for fill-in.  Will it already know
> to fill-in because of the TTL?  If you respond, could you please
> cc: me directly too?  Thanks!  Btw, I'm using the T32 with my
> OM-2S.

Tina,

Unfortunately, TTL on the OM-2S doesn't really help much for fill flash.
Your third party flash, which allows for all those different manual power
settings, will probably be easier.

I've never done a lot of fill flash myself, but with a T32 the easiest
way is probably to use one of the normal auto settings on the flash (f4,
f5.6, or f8 for ISO 100 film, IIRC) and adjust your aperture to suit. So
if you want flash one stop under ambient, meter manually with a shutter
speed of 1/60, assuming your spot meter is telling you to use an aperture
of, say, f8, then set the flash for f5.6. There are others on the list
who do more flash who could probably give you additional advice.

Depending on location and lighting conditions, a big white reflector of
some sort may be easier to work with for fill, assuming you have someone
who can hold it for you. It's easier to see what the end result will be
as well.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your shoot!