Re: [OM] Polaroid Scanner & SCSI

Subject: Re: [OM] Polaroid Scanner & SCSI
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:56:47 -0600
At 11:04 AM 12/10/2001 -0500, David McGriffy wrote:

[snip]

Do you other Polaroid users leave your scanner on most of the time? Do you reboot your computer when you turn it on? Or do you just not have any such trouble?

No, I always leave the scanner off unless I'm doing a scanning session. Saves wear-'n-tear on the cold cathode light source (I *believe* it's cold cathode)... I have to re-boot my computer (after turning the SS4000 on, of course) in order for my Win2K system to recognize the scanner. There is a way to get Win98/ME to re-scan its hardware in order to detect new devices coming on-line, but for the life of me I can't remember the technique (I think it has something to do with "refreshing" the hardware in one of the Control Panel apps). I haven't been able to discover the equivalent in Win2K (mind you, I haven't been looking all that hard -- since I leave my Win2K machine on all the time [it's the server for my household LAN] -- I figure re-booting it once in awhile is good for it anyways, since Win2K still manages to produce the occasional Blue Screen of Death after running for days on end; my favourite so far is the "Unknown Hard Error" screen -- yeah, baby! *that's* the kind of reliability I look to Microsoft for! 8^> ).

Ah, just found it on my wife's Win98SE machine:

Control Panel --> System --> "Device Manager" tab--> "Refresh" button

Try that.  It's probably something similar on Win2K -- I'm just lazy.  ;-)

Garth