[OM] Polaroid Scanner & SCSI

Subject: [OM] Polaroid Scanner & SCSI
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 08:51:33 -0400
David asked:
Do you other Polaroid users leave your scanner on most of the time?  Do
you reboot your computer when you turn it on?  Or do you just not have
any such trouble?

and Garth responded:
No, I always leave the scanner off unless I'm doing a scanning session.
Saves wear-'n-tear on the cold cathode light source (I *believe* it's
cold cathode)...  I have to re-boot my computer (after turning the
SS4000 on, of course) in order for my Win2K system to recognize the
scanner.

and I add:
Don't know why but my Win2K system automagically detects my Acer Scanwit
2700.  It was initially installed on a Win98 system with the Acer
supplied Acard SCSI adapter.  Acard supplied a utility that would
acquire the scanner after the machine was booted and I came to love that
feature.

When I moved to Win2K it was before Acer had announced support for Win2K
in the US.  I picked the Win2K scanner driver off their Hong Kong
website but it did not include (at least at that time) a Win2K driver
for the Acard SCSI adapter. However, I happened to have an Adaptec 2906
so I installed that along with a Win2K driver downloaded from Adaptec's
website.  I called Adaptec to ask if they had a utility similar to
Acard's and got a "we've never heard of such a thing" response.

So, I resigned myself to forever having to reboot the machine since I
don't like to leave the scanner running and always think about doing
some scanning long after I've started the computer.  But the first time
I decided to try scanning something and the scanner was off I decided
that there might be a way via control panel to get it on line.  I turned
on the scanner and then went to "acquire" using Picture Window just to
see what would happen.  Much to my surprise the scanner was right there
without the need for any overt action on my part.

I dunno how or why it works and I certainly did nothing to enable it.  I
thought the function might be tied to Picture Window at first but it
also works with VUESCAN.  Perhaps the function is tied to the Adaptec
SCSI driver somehow but, if so, the guy I spoke to on their tech support
line knows nothing about it.  Of course, that's no proof of anything.
Anyhow, I really like my Win2K setup.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA