[OM] RE: KEH bargain lenses

Subject: [OM] RE: KEH bargain lenses
From: "Richard Locke" <dtlocke@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:24:00 +0100
I've purchased a few KEH bargain lenses, most recently a N*k*n 300/4.5 EDIF.
It had some flaws in the coating on the front element, several areas where the
paint had been touched up on the lens hood, and a very loose focus with a good
deal of slop.  There was a very light amount of haze inside.  I was planning to
go to a camera show a few days after I got the lens, and I left it with a local
repair shop who fixed the focus for $32.  They didn't think the light haze
worthy of action.  I was very close to returning the lens due to the focus
slop.  (I do astrophotography and I need to have a tight/repeatable focus; this
flaw wouldn't have been so bad for a normal shooter.)

My 2 cents is that KEH bargain lenses have things wrong with them, so if you're
a perfectionist they probably won't be to your standards.  However, if you're
looking for a good price on a lens that you can return if you don't like it,
KEH fits the bill.  That return period goes by really fast, though, so I'd
second the advice to check out the lens as soon as it arrives.

Someone mentioned having a KEH sales person look at the lens.  When I called up
last year asking about Oly 85mm's, the salesperson told me the lenses were in
the warehouse and that they couldn't give me any more info on them at all.  (I
was trying to figure out if they had an MC version...)  I sent KEH an email
complaining about this, and never received a response.  How does one get to
talk to a person who actually can look at the lens?

-Dick