Re: [OM] Laguna Seca CART weekend

Subject: Re: [OM] Laguna Seca CART weekend
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:12:19 -0700
In a message dated 10/16/2001 James M Costello writes:

<< Those are great shots of M. Andretti getting sideways and his ride
back
hangin' on to the towrope! >>

Thank you! Those were really a luck of the draw kinda deal. The location
I was at is packed with photographers for the start of the race (at
least a dozen of us with credentials and many more a few feet back on
the spectator side of the fence). I picked my location to the left side
of the crowd to get more of a straight on shot up the straight entering
the Andretti hairpin (an appropriate name for the turn that ended
Michael's season championship hopes I suppose). He came sliding to a
stop sideways right in front of me (hence the towrope shot getting his
restart).

<< Do you remember anything about your setup? >>

Sure do. OM-4T, MD2, Zuiko 350/2.8, Fuji Provia F. Single spot stored in
memory off the right hand side wall near the cornerworker's box, f5.6,
shutter speed around 1/1000 (auto exposure so I am not sure exactly).
The start sequence burned through almost a whole roll of film...that one
with him getting the restart was the last frame.

and Gregg Iverson writes:

<< I was thinking about you while I was at the World of Outlaws
Championship
Finals at the Dirt Track at Lowes Motor Speedway.  Do you ever attempt
shoot at night?  There was one guy there (all were in the infield of the
4/10 mile track) who was using a very large, bright flash with his
telephoto lens.  Non of the photos at the official website are up to the
quality of your shots. >>

WoO Finals must have been fun! I would love to try some night shooting,
especially sportscars at say Sebring, PLM, Daytona, or Le Mans
(someday...). That will be a new learning curve (and a huge challenge)
for me.

Thank you for your kind words. I have a huge amount of respect for the
contributing photographers to cart.com (not to mention they actualy make
a full time living doing this which I don't...yet). I am pretty sure
they are all shooting digital now though to get instant results.

Thank you all for the kind words. I am always ever so thankful to this
list community as I am convinced you all are helping me become a better
photographer and I am in awe of much of the work I see from many of you.
Each time I have edited slides this season I am a little less
disapointed in the results (never 100% happy of course...). I'll never
stop trying to learn and improve. Maybe someday it will pay off, but
meanwhile it is fun and rewarding.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com