Re: [OM] hand held Light Meter suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] hand held Light Meter suggestions
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:20:48 -0400
My suggestion for low lite is one of the luna pro's, or a lunasix, if
you can find one which doesn't need the mercury battery. They have
sensitivity to spare.

Tom

On Wednesday, October 17, 2001 at 19:10, The_Bobbs <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote on "[OM] hand held Light Meter suggestions," saying..

> Hi,
>
> I want to get a hand held light meter, ambient/incident lighting is
> all that is needed. No flash, no color, no studio and no spot
> required. It will be used for two purposes, the first purpose could be
> met by just about anything.
>
> 1) as the meter for setting an older camera (mid-1950s Voigtlander
> rangefinder which is just fun, and whose Zeiss lens is wicked sharp)
> that doesn't have a meter. (Well actually it does have a selenium
> array and needle, but it can't be trusted or repaired -- I'm certain
> on both statements!).
>
> 2) As a means of making some more educated guesses for extended
> exposures at very low light conditions with my OM.  You can play games
> with the ASA speed, but at the end of the day,  most TTL metering just
> doesn't cut it if you are shooting more in the range of many minutes
> at f11 or so, for a slow film. (Maybe the 4T comes close ... but does
> its meter account for reciprocity failure?).
>
> The key constraint is that I would like to buy a used one ... and I
> don't want to spend a great deal of money. I would be suspicious of
> anything I can get for less than $70 as unable to cover #2 and
> probably unwilling to buy anything that costs much more than $170.
>
> I see KEH has a few Sekonic L-398Ms, a couple of Minolta III and even
> a pair of Gossen Luna-Pro (SBC and digital) in that range, though the
> Gossens are at the extreme high end of my price range.
>
> It can be challenging to find info on light meters which aren't
> currently being sold as new! What data I did find on the Sekonic
> suggests that it probably comes up too short in the "low light"
> category.  +4EV is not what I would call low light!  (-8 EV is more
> what I had in mind).
>
> So, the questions:
> 1) Maybe my goals are incompatible? Maybe low light and < $175 don't
> go together in any meaningful way?
>
> 2) Any good places to find detailed info on older, "no longer
> currently for sale" meters that might help me sort out the useful from
> the useless on eBay or other low-info venues?
>
> 3) Any specific inputs on the above meters -- or others I should look
> for? Keep in mind the ability to actually acquire the thing is a
> constraint as well. The fact that you got the perfect thing for $50,
> but they only made seven of them and you aren't selling yours isn't
> helpful. :-)
>
> Some quite old postings (1997) on photo.net rave about something
> called a "calculite" but I don't see them for sale new anywhere and
> nothing like that has sold on evilBay recently ...
>
> Anyway, looking for some low light help, having been inspired by Lee
> Frosts' book which contains all kinds of shots whose near dark
> conditions are the kind I would like to try.
>
> Stuart

---------------  Abacurial Information Management Consultants -------
Tom A. Trottier, President      http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8 N45.412 W75.714
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115    ICQ:57647974
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
        -- Benjamin Franklin