Re: [OM] New To The List

Subject: Re: [OM] New To The List
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:35:58 -0600
At 03:27 PM 17/10/2001 -0700, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

[snip]

>... I recently learned that Olympus has a very fast 21mm lens,
>unusually fast for that focal length.

Yep.  If it were any faster, it'd literally suck the photons out of the room
when you removed the lens cap.  ;-)   I happen to own an example, and I'm
REALLY REALLY pleased with it.  Bought it used (but in otherwise pristine
condition) for $575.00 U.S., which was a pretty fair price for the condition.

[snip]

>Which body might be advisable?  I don't need lots of bells and
>whistles, in fact, the fewer the better.

Well, they're all good in their own way.  I own an OM-4, an OM-2Sp and an
OM-1n.  If you want something similar to the LX, I *think* the closest would be
a good used OM-4T or -4Ti (the difference in nomenclature has nothing to do
with different features -- the two "models" were simply sold in different parts
of the world).

[snip]

>What's the difference between the OM3 and the 3-TI and 4-TI - I'm not clear on
>that.

Questions like that are what the FAQ was *made* for.  You'll find it in the
first few links off of the following URL:

http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.shtml

Look at the link entitled "Olympus SLR FAQ."  In particular, entries B10 and
B11 are on point.

>How difficult is it to find a used 21/2.0 in excellent condition, and
>what might be a fair price for a good example?  Are there different
>models, or variations, of the lens?

They're relatively rare, but not ridiculously so.  If you're patient, you
shouldn't have to wait longer than six to eight weeks for a reasonable example
to show up on eBay or photo.net.

>Thanks for any help.  I hope to be on Olympus user soon.

;-)

Garth