Re: [OM] Zuiko 1.2

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 1.2
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 00:30:30 +0000
At 18:45 10/15/01, you wrote:

Does anyone know which of the 1.2 Zuikos were better than the other. I have the opportunity to get either a 55mm 1.2 or the 50mm 1.2 (the 55 seems to be in better shape). I plan on using it for astrophotography, so the 55 will likely be better as it has a larger light gathering surface. Any insight (which one older, better coatings one one? etc....) Also, which one may have better collectors value?

Thanks,
-Bill

Bill,
I've got a 50/1.2 and have used it for both general purpose photography and for some experimenting with "star trail" type astrophotography. For general purpose use, it has exceptional resolution, contrast, flare control and decent bokeh. IMHO it's the best of all the Zuiko standard lenses. Condition of the lens, especially the glass, obviously makes a difference in performance.

The little bit of "star trail" type photos I did turned out quite acceptable. I freely admit a lack of experience with star photography. What was acceptable to me may not be to an experienced astrophotography afficianado. I don't know as I've only used the 50/1.2 for this and have nothing with which I can compare its "star trail" images.

-- John