Re: Re: [OM] Using a 50mm macro as a standard lens

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] Using a 50mm macro as a standard lens
From: zuikosis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 20:16:35 -0400
Yes - a macro lens can be used as a standard lens and it will always
be better for macro photography, even when used on extensions or bellows
because it's a symmetrical lens.  I wish I had had one many
years ago because all those macro shots with the reversed normal lens
and the extension tubes would have been just a little bit better, and
certainly a lot easier to make in the first place.  The only thing wrong with
macro lenses is they are not usually as slow and they are
expensive.  Today, I discovered that my 50mm G.Zuiko is a "silvernose"
and works great with Vivitar 2X macro doubler or a Hoya close up filter!  It is
pretty good but it is no match for a true Zuiko macro
lens!  I really like my macro 50 f3.5 it's my best all around lens.
I would bet that the  f2 macro is even more versatile!

-- Hank Hogan
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> You'll get no argument from me or anyone on this listwhen you talk about the
> quality of the Zuiko macro
lenses. Olympus has always had the best and most
extensive macro system far and above that offered by
anyone. I talked to a salesman at one of my local
camera stores, he said he was interested in
macrophotography and his eyes near popped out of his
head when I ratcheted off all the quality lenses and
equipment Olympus has made for its macro system, I
think I may have made a convert that day since he was
REALLY interested in macrophotograhy.

Mark Lloyd