Re: [OM] New To The List

Subject: Re: [OM] New To The List
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 23:38:24 +0200
On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 07:27:25AM -0700, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> Black would be my preference.  The price range for these different
> models seems within budget.  The OM-2 models look like a good value
> and might be a good introduction to the Olympus line, and could later
> be used as a backup or second body should I move up to the OM-4T
> series, or get a second lens.  The 24/2.0 seems like it might be a
> nice choice for a wide angle, too.

> Is the 21/2.0 a relatively new design?  I ask because it seems so
> small for the speed and focal length.  Pentax, which makes quite a few
> lenses that are small and light, has a 20/2.8 that's about the same
> size, so the Zuiko (and how, may I ask, is that pronounced?) seems
> like it might be some recent engineering.

What is a relatively new design for you? Is a lens introduced in  the same
year as the Pentax LX new? - Guess there are folks around regreting
that it is too new for SC-warm colored-radioactive-silver nosed examples ;-).
I don`t know anything about version changes of this lens altough modification
guessing is a favored game here in Zuikoland.

This year I´ve had the chance to try a 3.5/21. Bad luck, I was enthusiastic and
decided
that i <<need>> one. As occation plays I ended up with a user-condition
therefore
 reasonably priced 2/21.
I worried a bit weather the image quality is te same, especially because I
think mine is a sample of the first batches. Since then I´ve used this lens
more and
more, and I can`t remember one slide, where this lens was dissapointing.
I`ve even found the original lens hood, altough I think it is pretty rare, but
it still might
be available new from Olympus.
In my experience the hood is not necessay-and realy effective- because of
flare,
but to keep my fingers out of the picture <g>.

> This is good to know.  After a lot of looking around it seemed that
> this was the fastest manual focus lens in the "super wide" focal
> range, perfect for working close in, in natural light situations.
> Over the years I've heard many good things about Zuiko lenses, so I'm
> excited about finding and trying one.

The 2.0/21 Zuiko had no competition for about two decades until Sigma
released their 1.8/20.

talking about camera`s I´d say feature wise the OM 2(n) is most compareable
to the Pentax LX. The advantage of the LX is viewfinder interchanability,
and IMHO the hybride shutter.

But the OM 4 offers this unique Spot metering system. You`ve asked about the
angel of the spot. It equals the 5mm-diameter of the microprism area. my
spreadsheed
calculated the folowing angel values:

Brennweite      5mm-Spot        Bildwinkel Diagonal

18      16°     100°
21      14°     92°
24      12°     84°
28      10°     75°