Re: [OM] Traveling with OMs/final report

Subject: Re: [OM] Traveling with OMs/final report
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 15:47:27 -0500
Just returned via ELP (El Paso International).  It only took one request for
a hand inspection of my film which was cheerfully provided.  The hand
inspection did include an explosive swab/sniff check of each and every
cassette, canister, and box of film.  I was waiting for them to find
something, since I had done some shooting at a missile launch site, and the
sniffer is supposed to be able to detect very small concentrations of
whatever it is they sniff for (nitrates?).  But, I made it through without
incident.  Once again, the effort added five minutes and did not
inconvenience anyone behind me.  I was at the security check point only 1
hour ahead of departure, but traffic at the checkpoint was light.

So, based on this sample of two, it appears that for domestic flights in the
US, one can still have film hand inspected (as the regulations dictate).
Your odds are probably better if you carry a copy of FAR 108.17(e) and are
polite but firm.  YMMV.

Gary Edwards

people, places, flight at http://members.home.com/garyetx/