RE: [OM] (ot) Eastman Kodak and wild spaces

Subject: RE: [OM] (ot) Eastman Kodak and wild spaces
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 18:36:59 +1000
>Omigod....did this ever hit a nerve with Andrew. I certainly prefer to live
>out in the boonies but there are some people just about everywhere worth
>being. Once I leave the road I seldom see other souls though.  /jnm

Indeed it did, several nerves - it was a sunny spring weekend here and the
usual tribes of gormless oiks in bad shirts towing shrewish wives and
snot-nosed brats were cluttering up the streets, clogging the roads and
turning the nice cafes into suburbs of Pandemonium as they stuffed their
faces and forced up the prices. A taste of the summer to come. They don't
even have the good grace to use halfway decent cameras!
A rather popular narrow gauge railway passes virtually through my backyard
(Puffing Billy, for fellow countrypersons) and said riff raff are in the
habit of hanging off the train, dropping their garbage and waving or taking
photographs as I go about my lawful business. I must be famous in Japan -
"Austrarian peasant." Why in the name of their God would they think I would
want to wave back just because they're pretending to enjoy themselves?!
Well, at least we managed to keep Macdonalds out and they haven't found out
where we drink yet. Small mercies.
AndrewF
One of the joys of aging is becoming a miserable old bastard - now I really
can explore my inner curmudgeon!