[OM] 50mm/1.8 larvae... (off-topic?)

Subject: [OM] 50mm/1.8 larvae... (off-topic?)
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 13:53:08 -0700 (PDT)
Bill Barber theorizes:

> ... the
> motor drive cap for the OM 1 is in fact the larval stage of a 50 mm f 1.8
> lens.  While it remains on the body it is in a dormant state.  Once removed
> the transformation process begins.  The process is irreversible and the 50 mm
> f 1.8 is asexual (not very sexy either) and will not reproduce itself.

Bill,

I think your account is basically correct, but incomplete. The 50/1.8 is
asexual because it has not yet reached sexual maturity (the
"loupe-stage"). When a SC loupe encounters an MC loupe and the environment
contains adequate fungal nourishment, a single young larva ("motor drive
socket cap") is inserted into a healthy OM-1 body. The collector needs to
be extremely careful at this point, because eventually the larva will
consume the OM-1 from the inside. Usually, the OM-1 shows symptoms of
distress (rotting light seal foam, erratic shutter speeds, etc.) and
recieves a CLA treatment which kills the young cap (leaving its carcass
intact). Without CLA, the body eventually dies and unsuspecting breeders
often remove the still living motor-drive cap and insert it into a
different uninfected body, unwittingly contributing to the reproductive
cycle.

No, I'm serious... Really...
Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")