Re: [OM] (ot) 31 special edition Leicas

Subject: Re: [OM] (ot) 31 special edition Leicas
From: Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 14:14:08 -0700
Hi Mark ...

I shoot with a Leica gear, and while this may not be the place for a
Leica lesson, I'd like to point out a few things.

First, good, used leica bodies can be purchased for a good deal less
than you've noted, although new ones, special editions, and rarer
cameras will be quite expensive. The 50mm Summicron is far more
expensive than a "couple hundred bucks", and even older, used ones
command prices higher than that.  You might get a "beater" for $300.00
or so.  The new 50mm 'cron sells in the area of $1,000.00, before any
rebates that may be offered, and fine examples of current or late model
versions are often sold for about $500.00 - $600.00 or so.

Actually, with a Leica one can see a lot more than with an SLR.  The
frame lines are such that in almost all cases you can see what's
happening outside the frame, and see more than "just the distance"
unlike the view with an SLR, which is like looking at a scene through a
tunnel or a tube.  Although in some instances the framing may not be as
precise as that of an SLR, very few SLRs allow one to see 1000f the
image that'll end up on the film.  Neither is perfect, and in some
situations one system may be a better choice than another.

The body of the current Olympus is actually lighter than any Leica
M-series body by a significant margin, and, at least in some dimensions,
is even smaller.  There are also a number of Pentax bodies that are
smaller and lighter than the Leica, and some, even with certain lenses
of comparable focal length and speed, make for a smaller package
overall.

While Olympus and other SLRs may offer numerous gadgets and accessories,
leica is no slouch in that department either, and there are numerous
items that can be purchased from third party vendors that really
increase the value and usefulness of the Leica.
One thing that people overlook is that every lens ever made for a Leica
going back to the earliest screw mounts, plus lenses made for other
early rangefinders like the Canon Nikon, as well as numerous lenses made
for current cameras like the Voightlander, will work perfectly on the
Leica with a simple adapter, and without losing any functionality.  Many
of these lenses are excellent, and can be purchased for far less than
Leica, and even Zuiko, lenses.

I'm not trying in starting an argument about these cameras, but just
trying to put things in perspective and settle any misconceptions you
may have.  They are, as you noted, two entirely different systems, each
with a place in the kit of many photographers.  Personally, I think many
Olympus shooters would feel pretty comfortable with a Leica, as small
size, quietness, and unobtrusive operation seem to be important
considerations for many Olympus shooters - the cameras may compliment
each other quite well.

BTW, long-term investing in Leica gear is by no means any more
profitable than "investing" in other cameras.  Some models and lenses
hold their value quite well, but overall, the stock market and other
prudent financial instruments seem to outpace cameras in the long (and
not so long) run.  The investment many people have made in Leica is in
their durability, ease of repair and adjustment, and compatibility with
other Leica bodies and lenses.  That's the true value of a camera
system, IMO.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:belinkoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx