Re: [OM] 62mm filters

Subject: Re: [OM] 62mm filters
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 22:52:19 -0700
on 10/21/01 8:32 PM, Tom Scales at tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Does anybody know why the 35-80/2.8 uses 62mm filters?  There has to be some
> reason Olympus picked an odd size for just one lens.  Was their design
> outsourced by this time?  Is it the same lens as some other manufacturer's?
> Great lens, no question, but the filter size is odd (and a pain).
>
> Tom
>
> From: "Skip Williams"
> <snip>
> . (the 35-80/2.8 uses
> 62mm).
> <snip>
> Skip

Speculation:  Couldn't make the aperture work using 55mm, and didn't want
the overall size of 72mm... so they made a 'engineering decision' to go with
an odd size. When I first got my OM-1 much was made of the fact that you
could use all the lenses from 21mm to 200mm (in certain apertures) with only
49mm filters. Now that Olympus isn't really pushing the OM system maybe they
don't care if they fail to support that.
--

Jim Brokaw