[OM] OT ? slide frames

Subject: [OM] OT ? slide frames
From: Wim Verheyen <wimwim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:39:16 +0200
This may be a little OT, but it's about photography anyway.

What kind of frames do you use for your slides ?

In a distant past (20 years ago) I have used frames with glass on both sides of
the slide. This worked fine at first, but a few months ago I projected the
slides again after years of storage, and the glass had something like fog on
it. The "fog" had also affected some slides, so since then I use frames without
glass.

The problem with bare frames is that the slides tend to "pop" when they are in
the projector beam for more than a few seconds. This is then corrected by the
auto-focus mechanism, but it is annoying, and I wonder if it does't do any harm
to the slides.

There do exist frames with glass on one side of the frame, but I don't have any
experience with those.

Bottom line : I'm a bit unsure about what kind of frame best to use, in order
to preserve my slides, and to obtain the best possible picture quality.