Re: [OM] (ot) 31 special edition Leicas

Subject: Re: [OM] (ot) 31 special edition Leicas
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 17:04:42 +1000
>But their limitations are many. One of the biggest
>problems with rangefinder systems is that unlike SLR's
>you can't really totally see what you are shooting,

Actually, you can in other ways - because there's no mirror blackout. No
more wondering whether the subject blinked or even whether the flash fired
properly. You can also see 'outside the frame' in most cases because you're
using a brightline finder with some periphery. With a Leica M3 you have the
ultimate view - right eye to finder and left eye open gives you a
'floating' brightline effect which is magic if you can get used to it.

>If you want to get
>into Leica the camera is 1500-2000 and the lenses are
>around the same. A 50/2 Summicron, the standard lens,
>is a couple hundred bucks while a 50/1.8 Zuiko is less
>than 50 used and 150 new.

My CL cost me $800 with a 40mm Summicron-C (and that 40/2 is a long way
ahead of a certain collectible, optically) so you can get in cheaper! A
friend got an older M6 for just over $900. But, a Summicron 50/2 for a
couple of hundred would be a bargain unless it was an old, tired
collapsible. The new Voigtlander bodies are literally a rangefinder version
of the Olympus 2000 (Oly content - yay!) - not too robust but a good
starter and their own lenses are very, very nice. (12, 15, 21, 28, 35, 50,
75, 90 and 125 on the way)

The quality might be
>slightly better (no I'm not trying to start a
>flamewar. ) But not several thousand dollars worth
>better. Also SLR's have a lot more gizmos, gadgets,
>and stuff that can be put on and a much much much
>bigger selection of lenses for less price.
>Mark Lloyd

Horses for courses - I wouldn't use a Leica for tele or macro work. It's
just not reasonable and while possible, it's too cumbersome and expensive.
If you think that SLR's have a wider range of gizmos, you've never seen a
Leitz catalogue. They have bolt-ons, adaptors, workarounds and accessories
you can't imagine possible (75 years of constant ingenuity). And lenses?
Try a new Voigtlander 12mm rectilinear for openers! Or the 35/1.7!
Plus, size and weight. Tiny stuff.
AndrewF
(so many cameras, so little time)