Re: [OM] Dodgy trading practices??

Subject: Re: [OM] Dodgy trading practices??
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:43:44 +0100
A few days ago Roger Wesson wrote

>...  There's
> an ad at the moment for a kit including 2 OM-1s and various lenses at a
> very reasonable price, and I'm tempted to make an offer, but I've seen
> the kit listed three times over the past few months.  Why would someone
> do this?  I'm terribly naive and I can't think of any reason.  It should
> have been snapped up at the price he's offering.  Is there something
> dubious going on?

Used camera sales seem to have slowed down a lot lately, whether it's a
temporary thing or the start of the great digital changeover I don't know.
Here's a couple of examples:

Six months ago I was chasing Kiev 5 cameras on eBay but invariably lost out
to bidders who seemed willing to pay whatever it took to win, and I stopped
bothering. Last week I tried again, placing a bid on one by a reputable
Ukrainian seller for the minimum amount, well below its BIN price, and was
surprised to hear that I'd won it as the sole bidder.

The week before, while looking for a Zuiko 200/f5, an "Olympus 200" search
brought up an iS-200 by a new seller with zero feedback with an 80 UKP (~
$116) minimum bid. I checked with Hans' iS/Centurion page to confirm that
the 200 was the most suitable model for me (I fancied a full-frame version
of my Kyocera Samurai) and placed the 80 quid bid with three and a half days
to go. I won that too, also unopposed. It arrived the day before yesterday
and not only is it as NIB but without a guarantee card, but it came with an
unmentioned C-180 1.7x H.Q. Converter lens!

Regards,
Keith Berry
Birmingham, England