[OM] cameras

Subject: [OM] cameras
From: Joseph E Ringer III <jringer3@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:29:35 -0400
I picked up an OM1md about a month ago on ebay for astrophotography,
it was described as in good condition. Of course once it arrived the
meter wasn't working ( no biggie as the meter won't be used for astro
work ) and there were two green spots visible in the prism from
desilvering ( once again no biggie ) and lastly the meter switch had a
crack ( ditto ). It wasn't what I expected and wound up on a shelf
until last night, I finally decide to try it out. I use smaller scopes
and the OM1 really felt good hanging off the back and film advance
leaves me wanting a smoke ( I quite 15 years ago ), the one snag was
the mirror lockup. Engaging the mlu always resulted in my repositioning
the scope ( unwantingly of course) but I seem to have this problem
with my Minolta SRT102 also, just not as bad. Of course my Canon FTb-n
has a great mlu system but the camera weighs a ton. I'm hoping the
pics aren't to bad due to the lack of mlu as the shutter on the OM seemed
very quite compared to my other cameras.

If you've read this far... The above OM set me back 135+shipping and
I'd like to know what a fully function model should run ( fully
functional because I do do some daytime snapping)? Also, after the
above ebay encounter I'm thinking of going through a dealer (KEH, BH,
Adorama ......). Any thoughts?

--
clear skies,        |http://www.erols.com/jringer3/astro1.htm
Joe                 |