Re: [OM] getting the collector disease...

Subject: Re: [OM] getting the collector disease...
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:43:23 +1000
>    2 very strange ads... Is zuikoholism turning leicaphiliac...(oups new
>word...) What do you think of these two  items...? - customisation (I
>would like the gold one with a  cobra skin...) - number fetishism... Do
>those things take picture ?   Stephan (from Brussels... and therefore not
>so good  in English) (By the way I have an Om1n with a XXXX999 n°...  )
>http://cgi.ebay.de/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1287807510
>http://cgi.ebay.de/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1286462217

These are quite obviously Russian fakes based on the early Zenit body with
the nylon covering removed, the body cut down, with new hand beaten cover
panels and the mechanism tweaked by collectives of orphans working in
Dickensian assembly plants deep in the Crimea. Expect to see more of this
sort of counterfeiting, including the 'Siberia' OM1 with extra large
controls and fittings (for gloved hands in labour camps), the Berlin Wall
Commemorative with a covering of crushed concrete chips set in black paint,
the Ruthenium plated limited edition covered in aardvaark leather and the
entry level Asian Financial Crisis OM3 in engraved aluminium with pink
leatherette.
Urgh.
AndrewF