Re: [OM] semi (ot) why the hell do people engrave things on cameras/lens

Subject: Re: [OM] semi (ot) why the hell do people engrave things on cameras/lenses
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 05:36:58 -0600
Well, I find it simply amazing too.  I have a bunch of stuff on ebay right
now that is engraved with with someone's Texas DL #.  I really don't get it.
You're taking something that has a clearly defined serial number -- a unique
serial number and adding something that changes.  What happens if you move
to Oklahoma?  (Other than the obvious ridicule from fellow Texans).

I'll be interested to see how it hurts the price. I've clearly identified
that they are engraved and tried to show them properly in the pictures.

Well, just for curiosity I checked my auctions.  Most close tonight or
tomorrow night. The engraved Winder 2 is sitting at $38 -- lower than
normal. The engraved 35-70/3.5-4.5 (yes, they engraved the LENS BARREL of
this beautiful lens) is sitting at $93, a small bargain.  My Black OM-2n
with Recordataback 4 is sitting at a lousy $122.

Of course, all this is meaningless. My nice OM-2S (no engraving) is sitting
at $100. My 50/3.5 is sitting at $108. Both on the low-side.

Hopefully the auctions will go wild with sniping <g>

Tom

From: "M. Royer"